Venezuela news latest: Crisis in Nicolas Maduro regime as 15 die in nationwide blackout | World | News

0


Crisis-wracked Venezuela has endured a nationwide blackout this week lasting for days. The current regime headed by Nicolas Maduro is facing opposition from self-proclaimed interim president Juan Guaido. A host of Western nations have backed Mr Guaido’s claim to power as they condemn the callous actions of Maduro, a dictator who is starving his own people.

But pro-government demonstrations have also been taking place in the capital of Caracas. 

Described by the Venezuelan government as an act of “sabotage”, cities such as Caracas were struck by the huge power outage this week.

BNO News reported the outage started in the late afternoon on Thursday and has affected all parts of the country.

Frightened citizens were plunged into darkness with many businesses forced to close down. 

READ MORE: Venezuela crisis: US journalist RELEASED after he was detained

The power cut heaped further plight on people who are already facing economic meltdown.   

President Maduro said on Saturday electrical substations had been attacked with “the support and assistance of the US”.

He said: “Many saboteurs have infiltrated the state’s electrical company.

“We have evidence and they will be held accountable.

“We will also introduce new measures to protect our electrical system from hackers.”

But his words were mocked by US Senator Marco Rubio who lashed on Twitter over the sabotage claims. 

Taking to the social media platform Mr Rubio lampooned Maduro.

He wrote: “A few weeks ago the Maduro regime blamed iguanas for causing a large electric grid blackout.

“We have now received the first video of what caused tonight’s unprecedented nationwide blackout in Venezuela.”

The tweet was accompanied by an image of monster Godzilla spitting fire on a city.



Source link

LEAVE A REPLY